Friday, May 3, 2013

It's a boy

I had to fake a sonogram today..

Grace and I, encouraged by Grace's mother, decided to go to an ultrasound clinic today because we couldn't handle the suspense of not knowing the gender.  The ultrasound tech found the baby quickly and after a few seconds of searching declared us to be having a son.  I wanted a daughter.

Grace's Mother, Linda has four grandsons and one granddaughter and everyone in the family had predetermined it would be a girl.  We all just sat there transfixed on the screen.  Finally, probably for the sake of the tech, Grace exclaimed, "Wow!  That's surprising."  I didn't speak unless directly questioned for over an hour.

However, after the hour of contemplation I changed my tune.  I began to imagine my self with a son and got extremely excited.  First of all I am the last Geiger male who is likely to procreate.  I didn't think that passing on my name would matter to me but I began to realize that it would.  Additionally, new ideas and concepts are dawning on me daily that get me energized for this adventure.  I began to understand that I wasn't excited about having a girl.  I thought Grace would be having a girl so I got excited about tutus, brushing her hair and being her protector.  But when I picture myself raising a son I get equally excited (if not more so) about camping with him, teaching him how to cook, and instilling within him a love and respect for all things.  It doesn't matter if this baby is a boy or a girl.  I am so ready for fatherhood in a way that I never thought possible.  Now if Grace and I could decide between names.


 


-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment